I'm halfway through Junior Year or Grade 11 and let me just say, IT WAS VERY HECTIC. Projects and exams due all over the place. But I survived. I am a Junior and my teachers and some people from higher batches tell me that Junior grades are important once you do take entrance exams. These are the grades that colleges look at being the most recent ones. I'd say I am a pretty good student in class and my first term went pretty well, this is why I would like to share some tips on how to get good grades and survive class. These are what I do and maybe just maybe it might work for you too. These are based on what I have experienced too.
1) BALANCE YOUR SCHEDULE : This is a very important thing for me since I have extra curricular activities in and out of school. I plan/help organize events, I have a lot of dance classes, I write for the school newspaper, I handle a blog and I hang out with friends and family. I really have a lot on my plate. But nonetheless, I schedule when to do this and when to do that. School is important so I really need to allot time for it. To help, I make a list of the things I need to achieve for the week and adjust it with my plan on my whiteboard.
2) Listen attentively : Listening helps no matter how little or how much your teacher talks. It helps. Not all of the test items will come from the book. Teachers could get some of their test questions from their presentations or lectures or simply from what comes out their mouth. You probably will feel sleepy or bored listening but find a way to wake yourself up.
3) Take notes : No matter how much your hand hurts from continuously writing on your notebook since your teacher goes fast through their slideshow, write as much notes as much as you can. It is up to you to either wirte what you can or speed read and take note of all important details. As said from the last number, what the teacher is saying is not always on the slides so take note too of what the teacher is saying.
4) Participate in class : Participating in class will not only test what you've learned but it can also add points to your grade. Many teachers like it when people recite in their class whether the answer is correct or not (unless it is a graded recitation). Also, what you say that is correct can be stocked on your brain.
5) Work in advanced : At times, I do my homework earlier like in the weekends or study in advance so I won't have to worry about it anymore when the day comes. Doing this will not lead you to PROCRASTINATION. Procrastination isn't advisable since it can bring you to mediocre works so you can't bring out the best output you can really give. To me, procrastination brings me more stress so what I usually do is finish all my school work first, and when I am done I do all the other things I have to do.
6) Organize : Make sure your bag is neat. Fix it the night before and check if you have everything you need to bring for the next day. Remove all the trash in your bags. Put only necessary things. Get folders or envelopes or a clipboard to organize your papers. A to-do list may help you too.
7) Try to do some of your works at school : When you are idle at school, try doing some of your school work already. You will want to talk to your friends and eat or something but if you do this instead, you surely will feel good and accomplished since: 1) you will not waste your time, 2) the lessons or the topic on the homework may be discussed in class so it is still fresh in your head and 3) you have more time to do the things you like when you're at home like sleep and pigout! HAHA Just kidding, but you get what I'm saying.
8) Be conscious of your grades : Balance your grades. If you get a low mark in one of your tests, strive harder to do better for the next one! All grades are important. Colleges will need to see it when you are applying for one so show them how good you are! Not being grade conscious is also like saying "I'm going to work out tomorrow," and when that day comes you are just laying down on your couch, watching TV, eating junk food. It's okay to have a day to relax and be lazy, everyone has one. Just remember to allot a time period for studying.
These are my 8 tips to getting good grades. Hope you this post will help you! :)