11 October 2014

Sammie's (not so) Grand Guide to Good Grades


I'm halfway through Junior Year or Grade 11 and let me just say, IT WAS VERY HECTIC.  Projects and exams due all over the place.  But I survived. 
I am a Junior and my teachers and some people from higher batches tell me that Junior grades are important once you do take entrance exams.  These are the grades that colleges look at being the most recent ones. 
I'd say I am a pretty good student in class and my first term went pretty well, this is why I would like to share some tips on how to get good grades and survive class.  These are what I do and maybe just maybe it might work for you too.  These are based on what I have experienced too.


1) BALANCE YOUR SCHEDULE :  This is a very important thing for me since I have extra curricular activities in and out of school.  I plan/help organize events, I have a lot of dance classes, I write for the school newspaper, I handle a blog and I hang out with friends and family.  I really have a lot on my plate.  But nonetheless, I schedule when to do this and when to do that.  School is important so I really need to allot time for it.  To help, I make a list of the things I need to achieve for the week and adjust it with my plan on my whiteboard. 
2) Listen attentively Listening helps no matter how little or how much your teacher talks.  It helps.  Not all of the test items will come from the book.  Teachers could get some of their test questions from their presentations or lectures or simply from what comes out their mouth.  You probably will feel sleepy or bored listening but find a way to wake yourself up. 
3) Take notes : No matter how much your hand hurts from continuously writing on your notebook since your teacher goes fast through their slideshow, write as much notes as much as you can.  It is up to you to either wirte what you can or speed read and take note of all important details.  As said from the last number, what the teacher is saying is not always on the slides so take note too of what the teacher is saying.  
4) Participate in class :  Participating in class will not only test what you've learned but it can also add points to your grade.  Many teachers like it when people recite in their class whether the answer is correct or not (unless it is a graded recitation).  Also, what you say that is correct can be stocked on your brain.
5) Work in advanced :  At times, I do my homework earlier like in the weekends or study in advance so I won't have to worry about it anymore when the day comes.  Doing this will not lead you to PROCRASTINATION.  Procrastination isn't advisable since it can bring you to mediocre works so you can't bring out the best output you can really give.  To me, procrastination brings me more stress so what I usually do is finish all my school work first, and when I am done I do all the other things I have to do. 
6) Organize :  Make sure your bag is neat.  Fix it the night before and check if you have everything you need to bring for the next day. Remove all the trash in your bags.  Put only necessary things.  Get folders or envelopes or a clipboard to organize your papers.  A to-do list may help you too.
7) Try to do some of your works at school :  When you are idle at school, try doing some of your school work already.  You will want to talk to your friends and eat or something but if you do this instead, you surely will feel good and accomplished since: 1) you will not waste your time, 2) the lessons or the topic on the homework may be discussed in class so it is still fresh in your head and 3) you have more time to do the things you like when you're at home like sleep and pigout! HAHA Just kidding, but you get what I'm saying.
8) Be conscious of your grades :  Balance your grades.  If you get a low mark in one of your tests, strive harder to do better for the next one!  All grades are important.  Colleges will need to see it when you are applying for one so show them how good you are!  Not being grade conscious is also like saying "I'm going to work out tomorrow," and when that day comes you are just laying down on your couch, watching TV, eating junk food.  It's okay to have a day to relax and be lazy, everyone has one.  Just remember to allot a time period for studying. 
These are my 8 tips to getting good grades.  Hope you this post will help you! :)



86 comments:

  1. I already followed you. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some lovely tips!

    Check out my new post Here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I would love to follow each other!! I just followed you on GFC and bloglovin' :)

    Michaella from http://quitealooker.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in the last class of high school and I have a loooooot of homework :o

    I hope that you visit my blog too and maybe follow: SPIKED-SOUL.BLOGSPOT.COM :)
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck in school! You can do it! :) I will visit your blog when I am done with my school work. haha

      Delete
  5. Very helpful, great post :)

    http://dreamland1234.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great advice ! :)

    http://tabicibeauty.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tips,i just finished school recently
    Wanna follow each other let me know

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting post.

    http://ninasstyleblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice tips!

    http://www.twinklelittleheels.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice ^_^ Thanks for checking out my page!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some great tips.

    http://skinandroses.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi! :) Really nice blog :) Of course, we can follow each other and I'm following you now ;) I'm waiting for your turn ;)

    Kisses and hugs,
    Marentora :)
    www.marentora-everdream.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will do the same. Thanks Marentora! xx

      Delete
  13. Love it! Maybe we can follow each other? Just let me know!
    xx
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by Sarah! I'll check it out.

      Delete
  14. thanks for your comment hun, following via gfc & bloglovin :)

    xx fameliquorlove

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for your comment! ! I now follow you (also on bloglovin) :)
    ---> firogma.blogspot.com
    ---> Firogma Bloglovin
    ---> Facebook Page

    ReplyDelete
  16. These tips are going to be so helpful for students who follow you. All are things that will pay off for individuals whom want to do their best in school. Those days are behind me; however, lately, I have been considering returning to graduate school here in the US. It just depends on what awaits me in the next chapter of my life. I hope we can stay in touch. I have followed you on Bloglovin and will follow you on google +. I hope you follow back. Have a great week.

    Sharon
    http://www.afashioncrowd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope this post will really help my readers. :) Good luck!! You can do it. Thanks for that nice comment Sharon. :) I'll do the same.

      Delete
  17. Lovely post

    Love Vikee
    www.slavetofashion9771.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the lovely comment on my blog, yes I'd love to follow each other! I have on GFC #170 and Bloglovin' #105 :) Hope you follow back soon x
    Freya's Fashion Chapter

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear Sammie, thank you very much for your visit. I like your blog and will follow it. It's great that you are only 16 and already got this lovely blog.

    Lovely post and keep writing darling, you are very good at it! :)
    Liuba, x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well-written and sage advice! You are set for success--no doubt. T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great tips! Will surely apply this. Hope this works out for me :)

    www.aprielletambis.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so! Good luck with classes! :)

      Delete
  22. great tips! i wish i had of worked in advance in school (and all the way through to uni!)

    from helen at thelovecatsinc.com

    ps. there's a £129 RayBan giveaway on my blog if you're interested! click here.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice post. Although I've always had trouble with the "participate in class" thing! x

    www.gailaranas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. This post somehow makes me miss school!

    Thanks for visiting my blog! :)

    xo,
    Janine
    www.itsjaninella.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow if only i have read this 5 years ago or you posted this 5 years ago, i would then know what to do. But im glad im over those days and i passed all my subjects (well, barely). I gotta share this post!

    Anyway dear, i am inviting you to join my giveaway here
    Visit my blog: www.sarahrizaga.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's nice to hear. Thanks for dropping by. :)

      Delete
  26. These are great tips :3 Thanks for posting!

    Amy;
    The Blog Hermit

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great blog Honey:)of course I follow you on gfc and I hope you follow back:))

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi! Thanks for dropping by my blog! Let's follow each other on Bloglovin :)

    Suzy
    pret-tea.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for commenting on my blog!
    We can definitely follow one another.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great and useful tips, dear! We can follow each other, I'm your new follower on bloglovin', hope you'll follow me back ;)

    http://crafty-zone.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you too! I will do the same.

      Delete
  31. I'm a junior too and I just finished my first quarter.It is very hectic, but it is a good challenge!

    Tara xx
    beweirdalways.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Followed back! Let´s Keep in touch!
    xx
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  33. Awesome, Sammie.
    Although I don't go to school, your guide looks brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  34. very useful! looks like my tips when I had grades, lol

    Lyosha
    Inside and Outside Blog
    P.S. following you back via G+ and GFC

    ReplyDelete
  35. Nice post.. good points..

    Would u like to follow each other n stay in touch..
    www.ananyatales.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. This is on point! I enjoyed this one a lot.


    Kenny,
    WHATKENNYHEARTS.com
    FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM @kennydaily
    FOLLOW ME ON BLOGLOVIN
    LIKE WKH ON FACEBOOK

    ReplyDelete
  37. Lovely blog !!
    Ps. could we follow each other ?
    If you want just follow me I will follow back :)!

    xx,Sonja
    www.passionhere.blogspot.fi

    ReplyDelete
  38. Such great tips! I really like to have everything organised and start doing work in advance if I can :)
    Love Life Every Day
    everydaybeauty instagram

    ReplyDelete

I read all the comments I get. Feel free to leave one. :) Have a wonderful day!